SCENE | Summer Reading


Photo of French actress Barbara Laage in her Paris apartment by Nina Leen, 1946.

The great poet and author Maya Angelou passed away on Wednesday, a big loss for the world. I've never tackled any of her lengthy titles and am planning to start with I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings on Friday while on a plane. Earlier this month New York Times columnist David Brooks opined on his eight favorite books (Really Good Books Part I and Part II). His list is unsurprisingly intellectually rigorous, which doesn't necessarily lend itself to a breezy summer read, but it's an interesting list nonetheless. From his recommendations I added A Collection of Essays by George Orwell to my summer list. I'd love to know: What are some of your all-time favorite reads and what's on your list for this summer?